The Research Intern will support field research and Regulatory Science activities within a team responsible for managing the lifecycle of insect control traits.
Research Internship in Delmas, Mpumalanga
Want to make a difference in our world by meeting the challenges of feeding and powering a growing planet?
Enjoy a challenging and fulfilling career with an international employer.
Pioneer Hi-Bred International has business operations in more than 90 countries, and is committed to increasing food production with high quality Pioneer brand products and agronomic knowledge that maximizes agricultural productivity.
By combining conventional and advanced plant genetics, Pioneer is delivering solutions to help meet the needs of a growing population’s demand for agricultural seed.
Members of this team work cross functionally with colleagues developing, registering and marketing insect control products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Follow and actively engage company’s core values and safety guidelines.
· Required to travel regularly for insect monitoring projects.
· Ensure appropriate agronomic practices are implemented throughout the growing season to produce a successful maize crop for other DuPont Pioneer groups and key stakeholders. e.g. seed bed preparation, maintenance fertilizer and herbicide applications, weed control, irrigation, insect and pathogen scouting, pest management practices, crop growth staging.
· Assist with all field related activities to support DuPont Pioneer cross functional groups and key stakeholders.
· Training of internal teams on field monitoring including scouting, data collection, communication, and record keeping.
· Ability to work on a team environment. Willing to receive guidance from colleagues, not necessarily direct supervisor.
· Inspects and arranges routine maintenance on equipment used to conduct experiments at the designated work location.
· Maintains and organizes appropriate inventory of chemicals and/or supplies necessary for the completion of experiments at work location.
· May hire, organize and supervise work of temporary employees ensuring work is performed in safe and efficient manner.
· Operation and maintenance of small plot research equipment.
· Seed preparation and organizational activities for planting, according, to the planned study design. e.g. study protocol
· Execute planting activities, according, to the study protocol and design. Includes proper labeling of all plots at all field trial sites.
· Monitor for unexpected occurrences that may impact the study.
· Data collection in alignment with the study protocol and Field Trial Notebook (FTN), along with guidance from your supervisor and the designated Study Director. Excellent documentation skills for entering data in the FTN, ensure all data documentation is complete and legible.
· Quality Control review of the FTN after the completion of data collection and prior to return of the FTN to the Study Director.
· Assist with plot evaluation activities, e.g. stalk splitting activities and non-target arthropod observations as required.
· Ensure all Best Practices are followed, according, to DuPont Pioneer guidelines and expectations.
· Excellent and effective communication with all team members and key stakeholders is required. Provide input and feedback to key stakeholders in a timely manner.
Ability to work cross functionally with other groups and key stakeholders to balance workload and support DuPont Pioneer initiatives.
· Assist with controlled environment activities, e.g. insect rearing and insect bioassays.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Agricultural Sciences and Entomology is preferred
- 0-2 years of relevant experience required, or equivalent amounts of education and experience
- Code 8 Drivers License
- May be required to do physical lifting and work in varying ergonomic environments
- Ability to work in a Field Environment
- Experience and knowledge of common Agronomic practices utilized in South Africa
- Strong knowledge and experience with small plot field research activities
- Strong work ethic and high self-motivation
- High organizational skills and adaptability to change are essential
- Excellent attention to detail and high quality of work
- Ability to lead or work within a team and cross functionally
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on multiple projects in a diverse, team environment.
- Ability to work within multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to maintain compliance with multiple regulations and standards at all times.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills required.
- Ability to travel domestically and maintains a valid RSA driver’s license.
- Experience with standard computer software packages, such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Geographic Information System (GIS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) technology.
- Open-minded and ability to learn new things e.g. insect identification