Velisa Africa Academy’s internship programme is designed to give University and Universities of Technology graduates an opportunity to extend their academic qualifications through structured workplace exposure and specialised training.
We have always maintained that effective learning can only occur when there is a genuine participation by the Students in meaningful activities in the workplace and to this end, innovative approaches aimed at introducing these survival skills, interwoven with technical and personal skills eases their transition into the workplace.
Participants are placed on a full-time basis for a period of 6 to 12 months in the Velisa Academy environment, where they learn to develop to their potential!
Stipend: starting at R3000 pm
Criteria for Selection:
- Candidates must be South African citizens.
- Copies of academic records, a letter of motivation and a CV must be included.
- Not have previously participated in an internship or graduate programme;
- Have no work experience in the field of study.
- A recent graduate (2011-2016).
- Be considered a youth (18-35 years).
- Verified qualification certificate and no criminal record.
We have developed an Introduction to Data Sciences course with job experience, which lays the foundations our interns need to understand Data Sciences, focusing on Data-Base Administration -data operations;
Business Intelligence – Data Warehousing; an introduction to Data Management and the essence of Digital Marketing.
We will also be traversing the principles of Business Analysis.
This is a very practical course and is structured around E-marketing work experience where interns will be able to transact with customers’ requirements and extract, transform and load data into a Data Warehouse which they will have designed and built.
They will also use data analytics tools to create reports and interactive dashboards using their own data.
- Relevant 3 year degree with a major in Mathematics / Statistics (i.e. B.Comm (Statistics), B. Informatics)
- Must be prepared to learn independently and be entrepreneurial
- Computer literacy (Intermediate MS Excel / Access)
- Attention to detail (accuracy) and a degree of web-programming
- Structured thinking and approach (process orientation)
- Able to perform under pressure and work towards strict deadlines
- Adaptable to change and Proactive
- Client service orientation
- Willing and able to work extra hours, outside normal business hours as and when required
- A clear credit history and a clean criminal record are prerequisites
- Keen to get ahead no matter what!
- Knowledge of analytics
- Technical understanding and knowledge (different operating systems / databases / programming languages)
- Knowledge of the retail online environment / industry would be advantageous
- Knowledge of table and database structures would be preferred
- General business acumen especially in any small business venture
- Communication skills (verbal and written) in English
- Numerical skills and Analytical skills
Application Closing date: 18 Feb 2017
HOW TO APPLY
Email a copy of your detailed CV, letter motivation, Transcripts and ID document to – firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Reference: DSC 2017