The Digital Marketing Intern at MSF Southern Africa will be instrumental in helping the organisation raise funds and lower costs using digital media strategies.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or to people that are excluded from access to health care.
The organisation has health projects in nearly 70 countries.
MSF Southern Africa is located in Johannesburg with an office in Cape Town.
MSF SA is governed by the MSF Southern Africa Association, which is made up of more than 300 members from seven countries in the region.
MSF SA has the following organisational responsibilities:
- Recruit medical and support staff to work internationally in MSF projects
- Provide strategic medical and technical support and training to MSF projects (especially those focusing on HIV/AIDS and TB)
- Communicate to the public, collaborate with humanitarian, health, activist and academic organisations and institutions
- Advocate on specific health issues
- Raise funds to maintain MSF’s medical humanitarian work.
Background: The Digital Team
The MSF SA Digital Team plans, executes and actively manages online content, digital campaigns, social media and fundraising initiatives.
The team is made up of two to four individuals – two from the Communications Department and two from the Fundraising Department.
We make data-driven decisions about which messages to share and where/when to share them.
We are always looking for new ways to engage with the South African audience online and inspire them to act.
We actively monitor and constantly vary our digital activities to best connect with our audience.
Our objectives are to raise awareness of MSF and its activities, inspire South Africans to donate and assist with the recruitment of medical and support staff to work internationally in MSF projects.
The intern will be expected to contribute towards MSF’s objective of becoming increasingly digital.
The role will play a direct part in the growth of online fundraising activities in South Africa, helping to maximise current online channels and identifying new areas of growth.
The role will also play a part in managing online communications with current donors, potential donors and other audiences; as well as the development and deployment of innovative digital marketing strategies and initiatives.
The Digital Intern reports to the Digital Campaign Coordinator and is part of the Digital Team.
- Work with the Digital Team to devise and implement evolving digital marketing and fundraising strategies and initiatives
- Assist in the implementing, monitoring and reporting of campaigns, strategies and results using a range of analytics tools.
- Helping to implement and recommend changes where needed
- Assist with the optimisation of digital marketing channels and msf.org.za, working towards strong conversion rates, increasing lead traffic and improving return on investment
- Ensure that all donation pathways function optimally
- Help with identifying new areas for digital innovation where possible
- Make recommendations regarding developments in digital marketing, social media and mobile trends
- Use Drupal 7 to update and manage online content, marketing and donation processes
- Studies in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or similar field
- Basic understanding of digital marketing (SEO, SEM, display advertising, etc)
- Experience in managing digital or social media campaigns a distinct advantage
- The ability to apply analytical techniques to raw data
- A strong interest in humanitarian issues
- Creative and flexible approach to work, and ability to work well within a team
- Proficiency in English, written and orally (including copywriting and proofreading skills)
Please note that you need a valid working permit or study permit to be able to apply for this internship. This position is based at our offices in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Closing Date: 26 APRIL 2016