The Education and Skills Development (ESD) research programme of the Human Sciences Research Council requires the services of project assistants on a short-term basis. These services and tasks form part of the larger Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) (Grade 9), funded by the Department of Basic Education (DBE).
ESD urgently need to appoint five office assistants over the period from April to December 2015. The work required will be intermittent or scattered within the period indicated above and will be informed by the availability of activities that requires assistance. The job is based in our Pretoria offices so all applicants must be based in Gauteng province. If not available for the full duration of the period indicated please do not apply. Applications close on 24 March 2015.
- Calling schools to follow up on ESD’s e-mail and other written requests to 300 schools to provide lists of Grade 9 classes and their sizes, including the relevant class lists and related learner information, such as birthdates, as well as teacher information.
- Assisting with the processing of the abovementioned class, teacher and learner information into digital databases to enable our project administrator and data manager to allocate and prepare individually assigned research instruments.
- Routing printed materials to the dispatch facility in preparation of handing them over to the data-collection service provider for administration at schools.
- Applying individual respondent identity labels to research instruments before packing.
- Packing of individually pre-assigned fieldwork materials per school.
- Ensuring accurate packaging by verifying learner, teacher and school information on labels, instruments and related tracking documents.
- Moving around boxes of fieldwork material during sorting, packing, unpacking and other routing.
- Unpacking, checking and routing materials on return from schools after data collection.
- Assisting the research team with batching and routing materials, information and checklists to and from item scorers during marking, and to and from storage space for data cleaning.
- Assist with the preparation of material for data capturing purpose as well.
- Any other activity related to the office work and completion of the project.
- Computer skills will be an advantage.
- Applicants must have matric but an experience in the key responsibilities will be a big advantage.
- Indication of work/prior experience before to gather information with the telephone.
- Ability to work under pressure and a good eye for detail.
- Ability to communicate well in English.
- Availability immediate for the duration of the period indicate above
The processes leading up to data collection, through unpacking after data collection and scoring of test items, and ending after data cleaning and storage are expected to run from 1 April 2015 to 15 December 2015.
How to apply
NB: CVs must be forwarded to Ms Mandisa Mamotsau at firstname.lastname@example.org /012 302 2430. Closing time and date for submission is 16:30 on 24 March 2015. If there are any questions regarding the technical contents of the job, please forward your queries to Matselane Maja at email@example.com or 012 302 2937.