Application for the Allan Gray Scholarship opportunity is available to learners currently in Grade 6. Successful applicants enter the Scholarship in Grade 8 at the start of 2016. The Foundation uses a trusted model, which allows selection from a diverse pool of applicants. Successful applicants known as Allan Gray Scholars are recommended for placement at one of our partner Placement Schools
Placements for Grade 8 in 2016 are a Available at the Following Placement Schools Only (* Schools are subject to change.)
St Alban’s College, St Andrew’s School For Girls, King Edward VII School, St Mary’s School, Waverley (Gauteng), Bishops Diocesan College, St Cyprian’s School, Rondebosch Boy’s School, Rustenburg Girls’ High School (Western Cape), Selborne College, Grey High School, Collegiate Girls’ High School, Clarendon High School For Girls (Eastern Cape), Michaelhouse, Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School, Epworth Independent High School (Kwazulu-Natal).
The following criteria apply:
- Applicant must be in Grade 6 this year (2014)
- A minimum of 70% in English and Mathematics (Grade 5-6)
- A minimum of 70% in Numeracy and Literacy in the Annual National Assessments (ANA)
- Demonstrate financial need
- The applicant has to be a South African citizen
- Certified copies of all required documentation
Demonstrate the following entrepreneurial characteristics:
- Intellectual Imagination: enjoys being creative and innovative
- Achievement Excellence: sets high standards for self
- Courageous Commitment: must be courageous and determined, brave and persistent
- Spirit of Significance: wants to impact others and make a difference
- Personal Initiative: prepared to take action to address challenges
How to apply:
- Click here to download the application form for the high school Scholarship or SMS “SCHOLAR” + “Your Fax Nr.” to 36777 to have an application form faxed to you.
- You can also get an application form from your school.
- Complete and submit the application form before Friday, 30 October 2014.
- Complete the application form
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on academic performance (including Annual National Assessment results), and invited for interviews
- Upon successful completion of the interview; shortlisted candidates will be invited to a 2-day selection camp
- If successful at the selection camp, the candidates will be recommended to the Foundation Placement Schools
- Candidates whose recommendations are approved by the Placement Schools will be awarded the Scholarship
- Once the Scholarship is awarded, the Foundation, Placement School and the Scholars Custodian sign a Memorandum of Agreement.